Perspectives on Pop Culture and the Arts

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Know I Always Go On About The BBC But...

This BBC Drama project truly does sound interesting. And it could possibly be great:

Decades

I only hope it compares to the excellent Our Friends In The North...(which was so good it featured a future Dr Who AND James Bond)



I have missed watching a big contemporary epic coming-of-age series: the only excuse I can give is that I've been watching it in minature all the time -namely through the American family dramatised: I've gladly accepted my social history via The Simpsons, Friends, even Malcolm in the Middle, and, most importantly, by watching Tony Soprano and his various 'families'....So despite me going on about the BBC, it is nice to see them attempt something this ambitious and contemporary once more...

P.S. For a truly ‘alternative’ version of history, the BBC should consult my favourite conspiracy theorist, Mohammed Al Fayed, the owner of Harrods, and Britain’s resident eccentric billionaire (a Ross Perot-type with more humour). Mo claims Prince Phillip, the Queen, and MI6 all conspired to kill his son and Lady Di, and recently called for Prince Phillip's beheading…..



Tagged under:
,

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Neal Romanek said...

Sounds like a really interesting project. And one with some public appeal too.

2:38 PM

 
Blogger stevo said...

Hi Neal,

Yes, it does sound V.interesting. Apparently they are deliberately setting it around big public events, like the Gulf War/Irag War, Blair's election in '97 and other such like.

Despite my joking, Di's death will actually form the background to one episode too...I just hope they use some of our better young writers and directors to make the project!

cheers,

Stephen

5:23 AM

 
Blogger Mike said...

I just did a little digging around for 'Our Friends in the North' (to hold me over till 2008!) and the best I could find was through DVDPopcorn for £37 (+s&h)... yeesh! Unfortunately, I don't expect it to be released in N. America any time soon... or ever.

9:37 AM

 
Blogger stevo said...

All the more reason for me to invest in decent DVD copying software for my re-writer... you don't know of any such software at all?!

11:47 AM

 
Anonymous Cape Coral Porch Enclosures said...

Lovely blog thanks for taking the time to share this

5:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home